Saturday, June 16, 2012

DIY Father's Day Plaque

I made this plaque for my husband last year. I went through my files and found some precious pictures of my husband with our kids. I used picnik (which no longer exists) to tint them, but my favorite is now Pic monkey. It's very similar to picnik.

I cut a 1/4" thick piece of wood to 13" x 16" and painted it black (any kind of paint will do). Next, I printed and cut 14 pictures to 3"x3". Then I made an 8x10 with the quote- "Blessed is the man who fills his Arms with his Children" (I personalized it by adding Happy Father's Day and the date). I cut it to 6 1/8" x 9 1/8". I layed the pictures out before gluing them down and made light pencil marks to give myself a guide. I used Mod Podge to glue them down. Once they were dry, I thinned some Mod Podge with a little water and painted over the whole plaque, leaving a light texture (I used a wad of paper to lightly pounce over the plaque). Aaaaand, that's it! When it's finished, there's approximately (it's not perfect all the way around...and that's okay!) 1/4" around the whole outside edge.

Have fun!


Kristen said...

Found you on Pinterest. Love your blog!! My blog was born the beginning for 2011 too!!

Nichole Dutrieux said...

Love love your ideas!! Thanks for sharing them! I too found you on interest and now have you bookmarked on my phone!! Addicted!!! :))))

Michael and Lynette Lozano said...

Thank you for your tutorial! I did a couple of things differently, such as using my color laser printer and plain paper instead of photo paper. I did my 8x10 with an iphone app and then sent to my computer to print it the right size with a black background. I got my piece of wood from home depot and they cut it for me. I mod podged over the pictures once, then used glossy white acrylic medium for second layer, then sprayed a matte acrylic sealant. Mine wasn't symettrical because I was rushing it but I did finish it on time for father's day. Your work was amazing and was an inspiration to do my version. I cannot thank you enough!!!

Below is the link to my end result :)